Driving licences issued in any Member State of the European Union or in States that are party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area, based on Community regulations, will remain valid in Spain, in accordance with the conditions under which they were issued in their place of origin, with the exception that the minimum age required for driving will correspond to that required to obtain the equivalent Spanish licence.
However, driving licences issued by any of these States that are restricted, suspended or withdrawn in them or in Spain itself, will not be valid to drive in Spain.
The bearer of a driving licence issued in one of these States who has acquired habitual residence in Spain will be subject to the Spanish provisions relating to its period of validity, monitoring of psycho-physical aptitudes and the allocation of a points credit system.
In the case of a driving licence not subject to a specific period of validity, its bearer must renew it once two years have elapsed since they established their habitual residence in Spain.
The following documentation is required for processing the exchange of a driver's licence:
- The required forms, available from the offices of Vives Pons lawyers and accountants
- Original valid passport or Foreigner Identification Number (NIE)
- Any other means of proof to prove residence
- The original valid Community driving licence
- One passport type photograph
- Proof of payment of the corresponding fee
The delivery time for the new Spanish driving licence is approximately three months.