img es   img en   img fr   img de   

BREXIT UPDATE: What To Do Now The UK has left the EU

Picture BREXIT UPDATE: What To Do Now The UK has left the EU

Now that the UK has officially left the EU, those of you living in Spain or considering the move will need to focus on getting papers in order to ensure a smooth journey after the transition period, which ends 31st December 2020.

Will you live in Spain longer than 183 days in a year? Then you will need to do the following to get your papers in order.

1. Register as a resident in Spain: If you have not already filed your "residencia" then you must do so before the 31st December 2020 to ensure that you will be protected if there are any changes to the law.

2. Register for healthcare: If you move to Spain before 31st December 2020, then you will be entitled to life-long healthcare rights in Spain, as long as you remain a resident. If you are receiving a UK pension or another benefit, then you need to apply for a certificate called the S1.

3. Exchange your driving license: If you are a resident in Spain then you must exchange your drivers license for a Spanish one. You must do this before the 31st December 2020.

4. Declare your earnings: If you are a resident in Spain you must declare your earnings to the Spanish authorities. If you are working here, your right to work in the country will remain the same, as long as you register as a resident before the 31st December. Always seek advice on tax and accounting from a registered accountant.

Share your article